A week ago American Airlines suspended most of their catering at LAX after trace amounts of listeria was found at Gate Gourmet, which catered most of their flights (along with Delta, and several international airlines).
That’s a smart precaution to take, but it created big operational problems. For a few days it’s meant double catering some flights into Los Angeles so there’d be food and beverages for flights out of LA. It’s meant providing food for passengers to bring onboard.
American Airlines Gate-side Food Carts, 1990s – early 2000s
And it’s simply meant onboard catering that doesn’t meet customer expectation. American has been providing travel certificates as apologies. Virgin Atlantic, another Gate Gourmet customer, has been handing out vouchers to each in the terminal.
Via the Forward Cabin is appears that LAX has their catering close to in hand through other providers. Here’s a route-by-route update on the status of food and beverage provisioning at American:
· Full prescribed service for LHR, PVG, GRU and PEK, all serviced by AirFayre
· NRT and HND continue to be supplied form DFW on inbound flight 2401. Tentative date for returning to full prescribed service is November 14th
· AKL, SYD and HKG are currently being serviced by LSG with modified service. Tentative date for returning to full prescribed service is November 14th
· Full prescribed service for the MIA market is scheduled for Thursday, November 9th
· Full prescribed service for the JFK market is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, November 16th. “Refuel and Refresh” (gate side amenity) will be offered for these flights
· Originating flights (overnight aircraft) continue to be double provisioned. “Refuel and Refresh” (gate side amenity) will be offered for these flights
· Thru flights continue to be double provisioned
· Full prescribed service is tentatively planned for Thursday, November 9th. Catering to be handled by LSG
International inbound/Domestic outbound
· Inbound aircraft stripped by Gate Gourmet. Refresh and Refuel offered at the boarding gate. Gate Gourmet to board beverage carts (1 in F/C, 2 in M/C)
As flights return to full prescribed service, LAX Flight Service will discontinue providing food vouchers. Effective this Thursday, the only remaining flights for which Flight Service will provide Employee Cafeteria food vouchers to those working JFK only. All international flights, MIA and Hawaii should be back to normal. All international flights, CLT and PHL are being provided crew meals as scheduled.
On the Tarmac at LAX